Friday 23 March 2007

Sunday 3rd December 2006



6.45am: Really good night's sleep despite raging storms outside and emergency situation inside. Blocked out sounds by listening to CD - Regina Spektor's 'Mary Ann and the Gravediggers and Other Short Stories' which I asked Mum to buy for me on Friday. Gorgeous sleeve notes - bit like Ed Gorey's Unfortunate Orphans or whatever it's called.

Skin feels better. Feet feel less explodable. Have been prescribed 2000mg a day of Flucloxacillin though, which I hate as it makes me feel really ill and vegetative. Still - it works and that's the main thing.

Oli drove down from Chelters to see me yesterday. So nice to see him. I feel so lucky to have all these friends willing to drive for hours just to see me - feel v lucky indeed.

Angela arrived at same time as Oli. She's coming again on Monday. Writing up her PhD at home is quite boring for her and also getting used to living with her Mum, after being away for 3 years, is proving a little testy. Think she'll come in most days - mutual mercy mission.

Julia and Jo (PGCE tutors) sent me a lovely card and 3 novels to read while I'm here. They all look really good: Ali Smith's 'The Accidental,' 'The History of Ukranian Tractors' (or something) and Meera Syal's 'Anita and Me.' So kind and thoughtful. Have just started Philip Pulman's 'Northern Lights' after receiving about a million recommendations. It is really amazing so far but how children read it I'll never know. Don't know if it's because I'm zonked, but some bits I re-read and re-read and still can't get my brain to warp round.

Rebecca's coming to visit again today. Will be so cool to see her again. I just hope my hobbling and gripping, for dear life, onto anything remotely grippable in the attempt to walk doesn't distress her too much.

Have been using mobile in room just to text people has made communication so much easier, and a LOT less knackering.

Lauren might drive down to see me tomo. Must ask her to bring PGCE student contacts sheet. I'm just so popular - they're all sending me cards and I must thank them. God - it's so hard being this popular and modest all at once...think I deserve a cuppa. Speaking of which they're late bringing the trolley round. Tut, tut...QUICKER!

No comments: