Friday 12 October 2007

Thursday 11th October 2007


PET Scan Day. Scanning centre was lovely. Unlike Frimley Park waiting area, which was built in 70s and has magazines from around same era, it was v up-to-date. Staff were lovely. V friendly and explained everything thoroughly.

Had to drink bout a pint of orange iodine drink. Tasted of liquorice. Yuck, yuck, yuck! Then had to change into a gown and lie down on a trolley. Nurse put a canular in my arm and took small blood sample. Then she put administered this radioactive injection so I can't hug anyone, and have to avoid pregnant ladies, babies and small children, for 24 hours. I had to lie there for about an hour to let it circulate around my body. After that the canular was removed and I went into the scanning room. Hsd to lie on this long table with my arms above my head and stay completely still. Table was then inserted in this tunnel and every 5 minutes the table shifted a bit further out of the tunnel. It was very snug. No wonder they ask you if you're preggers - the bump wouldn't fit! Scan took about 40 minutes. Quite boring. Available choice of CD's was Robbie Williams's 'Swing When You're Winning,' 'Hits of the '60s' or 'The Classic Experience.' Opted for the latter. Got the theme music to the old Hovis TV ad: 'Da da da...da da da...When I were a lad...Da da da...All the mills were open...Doo da...and no-one had even heard of courgettes...etc.' for 20 mins. Would have been fine but only two settings...so soft you couldn't hear it or ridiculously loud. Still, wasn't all that bad really. Better than I'd thought anyway.

No comments: